Psalm 46:10

Psalm 46:10

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Prayer

Jesus taught us to pray, "Our Father, who art in Heaven, hallowed be thy name....." Those of us who have been raised in Christian homes have heard this prayer countless times. We also may have been taught to pray before meals, pray before bed, pray as we awake....it was noted deep within our being that prayer is important, a vital part of our Christian walk.

In conversing with others about prayer, inevitably the question arises, "If God knows everything, knows already what will happen tomorrow, why do we pray? We really can't change His mind, can we?"

I do believe the above is true. God does know everything, what will happen and what we need. And therein, lies our dilemma. Why pray? Really, why do I pray for someone that is sick to be healed? Why do I pray for relationships to mend? Why do I pray for protection, for my daily needs? Why pray when God already has his plan in place?

We pray for us. For you and me, for our benefit. God is God, and because He is God, we cannot begin to fathom His ways. I serve a God that is bigger than my understanding, bigger than my finite mind.


There are several passages in the Bible where it appears that man changed God's mind. It was only after prayer that God granted the request. I can't wrap my mind around that, for God's plan will go forth whether we pray or not. BUT....God's greatest desire, and His reason for creating man, was to have relationship with Him. What could be greater than a heavenly Father being able to grant His child's request? To know His children want relationship with Him and want to talk to Him? To share this walk of life now and then eternity together?

Prayer is our response to God's greatness and goodness. To his mighty power and protection. It is saying "You know what is right and good Lord, lead me on the path of righteousness." We acknowledge our dependence on our Creator, knowing we are nothing without Him. And...prayer acknowledges our trust in our Heavenly Father.

Think of a small child. Of the relationship between father and child. The child gladly gives his requests to the parent. The child exuberantly tells of his exciting day, or tearfully, his sad one. And the father will move in such a way that is the best for the child. He will rejoice in the joys and comfort the sadness. He will give abundantly for the benefit of the child. But he will also discern the childish or selfish ways and deny the child these wishes....all for the good of the child.

Prayer is powerful....powerful because it brings us into a closer relationship with our Heavenly Father. It is total dependence. I learned this lesson greatly when scheduled for brain surgery. I had many praying for me as I faced the removal of a brain tumor. A dear friend told me to imagine Jesus standing right beside me. Not once during the whole ordeal did I fear anything...and I know it was because of prayer. Not only myself, but all those around me were trusting that God was in total control and He was there beside me. I was totally at peace. 

The Lord's Prayer is found in the book of Matthew, Chapter 6. It is a beautiful prayer, one that is a guide for all our prayers. It acknowledges His holiness and our dependence on Him. We are to pray. Does it change God's mind? We will never know the answer to that question. But it does move His heart. God talks to us through His Word, we talk to Him through prayer....relationship. May you be blessed in talking to your heavenly Father. ♥ 

For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer. I Peter 3:12

I have learned the power of prayer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment