Psalm 46:10

Psalm 46:10

Friday, November 15, 2013

The Proverbs 31 Woman

Many have expounded on the Bible passage of the Proverbs 31 woman. It has disheartened women of all ages, for who could ever achieve all it says? And yet, it is a guideline for what God has created the woman for....

The home.


A woman is the key to a happy home. :)


Women are to be managers of the home. It is a vocation that is not talked about much in our culture or even a lot in the church. The line between masculinity and femininity has been blurred. Male or female, we are told, can be whatever they wish like to be.

Before I continue, I want to make one thing clear. I am not referring to the aspect that a woman should not work outside the home. (The above passage alludes that the woman will be about the marketplace.) There are situations where this is warranted and even necessary. What the purpose of my blog entry is the attitude that we women carry as we go through this life. Is our first priority managing our home? Do we value our female God-given responsibilities?

Proverbs 31 directs our hearts toward the home....

...the heart of her husband trusts in her

...provides food for her household

...she looks well to the ways of her household

...her children rise up and call her blessed

...not afraid of snow for her household, for they are clothed....

A Proverbs 31 woman is busy with the task of nurturing.....

...opens her hands to the poor

...teaching of kindness is on her tongue

Above all, she fears the Lord and is known for her strength and dignity. She is highly valued!!!

I myself, read Proverbs 31 and am simply overwhelmed. I am far from all it espouses, nor do I think I ever will attain those virtues in my own strength. But I am a woman, created in God's image, for a specific purpose:

To be there for those God has entrusted to my care.

What would life be like if women had more time to minister to their families, the hurting, the sick, the lonely? If she had more time to work with her hands and feed the poor, clothe the needy? We wouldn't need the myriad of social programs or wonder where our children are.

I have been blessed in that I was able to stay home with my children (and my mother stayed home with me). What saddens me is when I look around and see so many families in chaos simply because they want more material things.....or be involved in more activities....so we take on extra jobs for.....what?

"I just couldn't handle being home with my kids all day." My heart nose-dives when I hear that.

Is it possible to reclaim and give credit to our God-calling? To realize that our God-given gift of caring and nurturing others is a heavenly calling?

This is for all of us...both male and female. Men must appreciate this in a woman; not look at her as beneath him or as another bread-winner for the family. (If a woman does work outside the home, may men realize that her heart is with her family and make provision for that.) Women must know that we are just as important as the men in our calling and gifts even if we are not paid monetarily for them. God never uses a paycheck (for either gender) to determine our gifts/callings; we are privileged to be given the responsibility.

Yes, ladies, we were not meant to be the one in the front. That is man's job; to guide, provide, and protect. We are the behind-the-scenes person; managing from behind the curtain. Is it easy? No. But look up, God will give strength for the day, and promise for the tomorrow.


An excellent wife, who can find? She is more precious than jewels.  ~Proverbs 31:10

"Behind every great man, there is a great woman." Take pride in that! :)

Some may call me old-fashioned; but I have learned to appreciate my God-given role as a woman.






No comments:

Post a Comment